International Wildlife Conservation and Communications Assistant
Department of Science-based Conservation Programs and Research
Safari Club International Foundation (SCI Foundation)
Capitol Hill, Washington D.C.
Range: $30,480 to $45,719
This position devotes approximately 50% of time to admin duties and 50% of time to communications. The incumbent will be the point person on all media enquiries and social media content, and performs a variety of administrative support functions for the Conservation department's programs and operations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS - All areas of responsibility listed below are essential to the satisfactory performance of this position by any/all incumbents, with reasonable accommodation, if necessary. Any non-essential functions are assumed to be included in "other related duties as assigned".
- Generates communications and promotional content; maintains the Foundation's social media platforms and website.
- Write, edit and proofread materials ensuring quality and consistency; present information and reports on conservation programs to a wide variety of audiences.
- Operate as the organization's point of contact for the media on conservation issues; identify and develop key stories that would be beneficial for external media. Must be comfortable speaking with press and pitching news stories.
- Generates correspondence, tables, and presentations from rough drafts. Generates and summarizes reports and information to facilitate review by immediate supervisor.
- Serves as the primary administrative staff for the Conservation Department. Organizes and maintains files and databases, amends and improves relevant procedures and policies where necessary, and takes lead on single programs with high administrative demands. Assists department leadership with preparation of budget and program needs.
- Provides office operations support. Receives, screens, and routes telephone calls and visitors when necessary. Sorts, opens, and distributes mail. Responds to inquiries regarding routine policies and procedures and provides information. Receives, reconciles and processes expense reports.
- Performs other related duties as assigned including preparation for and attendance at the annual convention.
NOTE: The essential functions are intended to describe the general content of and requirements of this position and are not intended to be an exhaustive statement of duties, skills, and efforts. Position descriptions are not intended to form contractual relationships between the employee and the organization but are intended to be a reflection of the primary elements of a specific job.
Must demonstrate an understanding of, and commitment to, hunting as an essential part of biologically sound and ethically responsible international wildlife management.
DIRECTLY REPORTING None
INDIRECTLY REPORTING None
SCOPE AND COMPLEXITY
This position performs functions which are specialized to the assigned area. Incumbents are often called upon to be flexible, resolve problems, work with deadlines, handle confidential information, and manage conflicting priorities. The position interacts with employees at all levels of the organization, members, volunteers, and outside vendors, service providers and/or government agencies.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ENVIRONMENT FACTORS
Essential functions are performed in a typical office environment and require operation commonly used office machines and equipment.
This position requires a college degree.
Must demonstrate excellent communication writing skills, attention to detail, organizational skills and exceptional customer service.
Must be proficient with spreadsheet, word processing, database, and graphic presentation software programs and have the ability to become proficient with proprietary software needed for the performance of the essential functions of the position. Experience with Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
Must be proficient with the operation of commonly used office machines.
Any equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience that fulfills the requirements of the position will be considered.
Training in secretarial, clerical, or related field and additional experience is preferred. Typing speed of at least 40 words per minute. A strong interest in science, wildlife management, ecology, biological science and 1 year of experience is also preferred.
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
Please send a resume and a one page letter of interest to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org